Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hospital Scrubs are a Germy, Deadly Mess

Seems like common sense, but obviously this is a huge problem.

An excerpt from the article -
"The problem is that some medical personnel wear the same unlaundered uniforms to work day after day. They start their shift already carrying germs such as C.diff, drug-resistant enterococcus or staphylococcus. Doctors' lab coats are probably the dirtiest. At the University of Maryland, 65% of medical personnel confess they change their lab coat less than once a week, though they know it's contaminated. Fifteen percent admit they change it less than once a month. Superbugs such as staph can live on these polyester coats for up to 56 days."

I couldn't imagine wearing the same thing to multiple births. When I get called to a birth, I take a quick shower, throw on clean birth clothes and then head out. As soon as I get home - I strip down, clothes go straight in the washer and I hop back in the shower.

Read the whole article here.

No comments: