Monday, April 20, 2009

A surprise catch!

I attended a birth this past week that ended in a transport. Nothing life threatening - we just needed to go in because mom had been in labor for almost 24 hours with contractions coming every 3 minutes lasting 60-90 seconds and she was making no progress. She was exhausted!

When we got to the hospital, mom was able to get some much needed rest and a couple hours later it was time to push. The doctor walks in, asks her if she is ready and then looks at me and asks if I wanted to "deliver this baby." I was shocked. This is completely unheard of at our hospital to have a Traditional Midwife catch a baby at the hospital. He asked me how I wanted the bed set up, rolled the cart over to me and sat on the couch and chatting with me about the movie Baby Mama. It was all a bit surreal.

Mom pushed amazingly and in less than an hour her baby was out and on her chest.

I am constantly in awe of the wonderful treatment our local hospital gives my clients in transports. They are respectful and honor the wishes of my clients. It is a true blessing.

1 comment:

Emily said...

That always makes me feel good, to hear of decent care received in a transfer. WTG back-up hospital!